Great careers are built at Banner Health. We understand that talented health care professionals appreciate having options. We are proud to offer our team members many career and lifestyle choices throughout our network of facilities. Apply today, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Experience innovative technology and exceptional opportunities for growth and development at Banner Health's state-of-the-art hospital Banner Gateway Medical Center. With comprehensive electronic medical records, physician order entry, digital radiography and proprietary advanced patient monitoring, Banner Gateway provides you with the innovative resources you need to provide your patients with the best care possible. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Located near Phoenix in Gilbert, Ariz., Banner Gateway Medical Center offers 176 private rooms, eight operating suites, a 37-bed emergency department and shares a campus with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Key specialties include oncology, obstetrics, bariatric surgery, emergency and other services that focus on meeting the changing needs of the dynamic and growing community we serve. About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center Located in Gilbert, Ariz. (the Phoenix Metro area) on the Banner Gateway Campus, the center provides world-class care for oncology patients - both inpatient and outpatient - and has also brought leading oncology programs to the Banner Gateway campus including Stem Cell Transplantation and comprehensive Head & Neck cancer care. Our capabilities include five linear accelerator vaults, a brachytherapy vault, an advanced diagnostic imaging suite with PET/CT scan, more than 50 infusion bays, a cryopreservation lab and much more. Our inpatient medical oncology unit also incorporates a program that utilizes the electronic surveillance partnership in caring for the patient, where remote nurses have the ability to interact with patients via two way audio-video to assist the bedside nurse with patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing patient assessments, treatments, and medications within scope of training. Position receives general supervision from RN, APN, PA, or Physician in providing patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Evaluates acuity level of patients and insures appropriate matching of patients care needs to unit and hospital resources. Demonstrates the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their specific needs.
2. Performs basic patient care appropriately within scope of training: positioning, transportation, phlebotomy, ECGs, splinting, maintenance of spinal precautions. Administers or monitors medications when indicated and as ordered by a physician. Such medications are limited to those approved for administration and/or monitoring by a paramedic in the State of practice. Assists patient in transfer using proper body mechanics and transfer techniques. Starts peripheral intravenous lines, including external jugular lines, initiates infusion, and maintains and adjusts fluid administration per physician order.
3. Performs cardio-vascular monitoring and management within scope of training.
4. Performs invasive and non-invasive airway management within scope of training examples: oxygen administration, tracheal suctioning, assisted ventilation, positioning, end-tidal CO2 and pulse-ox monitoring.
5. Monitors (does not initiate) the infusion of blood and blood products for rate and patient response.
6. Actively participates in the resuscitation of critical patients as assigned. Observes and monitors patients through the diagnostic phase of treatment.
7. Recognizes changes in patient status that requires notification of charge or primary nurse and physician. Keeps ED charge or primary nurse informed of patient status and current activities. Alerts responsible physician to changes in patient status. Documents assessment and reassessments within unit guidelines on appropriate documentation forms. Documents the incorporation of assessment findings and appropriate standards statement to support desired Patient Outcomes. Documents patient progress toward outcomes and responses to interventions / therapeutic modalities example: Response to pain medication. Documents the discharge plan of care and services consulted during patient visit.
8. Provides leadership in the development and evaluation of the unit orientation and preceptor program. Actively promotes the development of clinical and professional skills of staff members by role modeling, teaching and validating competencies. Maintain a safe environment for patients and co-workers.
9. Works independently to provide excellent patient care. Internal customers include patients, ED leadership, clinical personnel, nursing staff, and physicians. External customers may include patient family members and ambulance agencies.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Depending on state of practice, Paramedic or higher Certification within the state of practice and maintenance thereafter. Current BLS, ACLS, and PALS, certifications on date of hire as required by state regulatory agency or as required by work location and maintenance thereafter. Depending on work location may be required to obtain NRP, and PHTLS within 1 year of hire, and maintenance thereafter. Valid Driver's License on date of hire.
Knowledge of customer service principles and practices. Skilled in reading, writing and comprehending English. Skilled in comprehending and following written and verbal instructions. Skilled in remaining calm in emergency situations. Skilled in operating a variety of modern office equipment. Skilled in operating a variety of ambulatory tools and equipment.
Position requires basic computer skills, effective communication (written and verbal) skills, and problem-solving ability.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R13275
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.